Garage Door Maintenance Checklist: What You Should Do Every Month, Year, & Season
Your garage door is not only a functional component of your home but also a significant part of its aesthetic appeal. Regular maintenance is essential to ensure it operates smoothly and maintains its visual appeal. At Commonwealth Garage Doors, we understand the importance of a well-maintained garage door. In this blog post, we’ll provide a comprehensive maintenance checklist to help you keep your residential or commercial garage door in top condition throughout the year.
Monthly Maintenance Tasks
- Visual Inspection: Take a few minutes each month to visually inspect your garage door. Look for signs of wear and tear, such as frayed cables, loose bolts, or bent tracks.
- Lubrication: Apply a silicone-based lubricant to the rollers, tracks, hinges, and springs. This will help reduce friction and ensure smooth operation.
- Sensor Test: Test the safety sensors by placing an object in the door’s path. The door should reverse immediately upon sensing an obstruction.
- Balance Check: Disconnect the automatic opener and manually lift the door. It should lift smoothly without much effort. If it feels heavy or is difficult to lift, it may be out of balance.
Yearly Maintenance Tasks
- Professional Inspection: Schedule an annual inspection by a qualified technician. They can identify and address any potential issues before they escalate.
- Weatherstripping Replacement: Check the weatherstripping along the bottom of the door and replace it if it’s cracked or damaged. This helps keep out pests, drafts, and moisture.
- Tighten Hardware: Over time, the vibration from regular use can cause nuts and bolts to loosen. Use a wrench to tighten any loose hardware.
- Track Alignment: Ensure the tracks are properly aligned. Misaligned tracks can cause the door to function improperly.
Seasonal Maintenance Tasks
- Torsion Spring Inspection: If your garage door has torsion springs, have a professional inspect them for signs of wear. These springs are under high tension and should only be handled by experts.
- Opener Check: Test the auto-reverse feature on your opener by placing an object in the door’s path. It should immediately reverse upon contact.
- Clean and Paint: Clean the exterior of your garage door with mild detergent and water. If necessary, touch up the paint to protect it from the summer sun.
- Inspect Rollers: Check the rollers for signs of wear. If they appear worn or cracked, consider replacing them.
- Inspect Seals: Check the weather seals around the door for any gaps or damage. Replace as needed to keep out drafts and pests.
- Clear Debris: Keep the area around the garage door clear of leaves, dirt, and debris. This will prevent them from clogging the tracks.
- Remove Ice and Snow: Regularly clear ice and snow from around the garage door. This prevents it from freezing shut.
- Inspect Insulation: Check the insulation in your garage. Proper insulation helps regulate temperature and reduce energy costs.
Regular maintenance is key to ensuring the longevity and functionality of your garage door. By following this comprehensive checklist, you can address minor issues before they become major problems. At Commonwealth Garage Doors, we’re dedicated to helping you keep your garage door in top condition. With over 125 years of combined experience, you can trust our knowledgeable team to handle all your garage door needs. Remember, a well-maintained garage door not only enhances the curb appeal of your property but also provides safety and convenience for you and your family. Contact us today and ask about our yearly service plans!