How To Deal with A Derailed Garage Door
Imagine that you come home and go to put your car in, but you find out that your garage door has derailed itself. You probably have no idea why this happened, but you will not be able to use your garage at all until you get it fixed.
What Caused The Garage Door To Derail?
- Lubrication. Typically, the main reason a garage door derails is because the rollers and the track are not lubricated properly. When in use, a garage door will generate a lot of friction. Sprays like silicone oil or WD-40 will keep the surface lubricated enough to where the rollers slide up and down the track smoothly.
- Insecure tracks. If the tracks are not secured properly, this can lead to derailment. This is caused by improper installation. When the tracks are not secured to the garage wall, it can allow them to move too much. They may come off the wall entirely, or it will be loose enough to make the rollers come out of the track. Checking to ensure that your tracks are secure is imperative, especially right after having the garage door installed.
- Misaligned tracks. Misaligned tracks can cause a derailment. This can be addressed by making sure that the track is aligned properly before using the garage door.
- Dirt. No one thinks about dirt causing a derailment, but it is one of the common things that are seen when repairing a garage door. Your garage is dusty and dirty. This dirt can often build up into the garage door track and easily cause a derailment. In some cases, it can eat up all the lubrication, and this will jam up the rollers.
- Damaged tracks. Garage door tracks can easily be damaged. For example, a car backing into the tracks or something hitting the tracks can dent them. This will cause the rollers to come right off the rack.
Can I Fix My Derailed Garage Door?
You may think the repair to fix your derailed garage door will be too expensive to have your garage door repaired by a professional company. In some cases, it can be expensive, especially if there is a replacement part needed or your garage door has been damaged beyond repair. However, it is imperative that you not fix your garage door yourself. While you may think you have the experience to repair your garage door, you do not. Garage door repairs can be dangerous. There is a risk of the door falling and an electrocution risk. If you do not know what you are doing, you could be injured or even killed. A falling garage door also many damage items in your garage, including your vehicle.
Another risk that you take by trying to repair your derailed garage door yourself is that you may make the problem worse. For example, if your garage door tracks are damaged, you may try to take a mallet or hammer and beat the dent out. If you do it too hard, you run the risk of damaging your garage door tracks further. This can lead to more expensive repairs and the need for more parts and more time.
Instead of fixing your own garage door, you should call a professional garage door repair company that is well experienced in garage door derailment. This will help to ensure that the repair is done correctly and affordably.
Avoiding Garage Door Derailment
The best idea is to avoid a garage door derailment altogether. To do this, you should keep your garage as clean as possible and make sure that you lubricate your garage door at least once a year. More often if you notice any kind of issue. The most important way that you can avoid a garage door derailment is to have a professional garage door company come out and inspect your garage door at least once a year. During an inspection, a garage door technician will go through your garage door system with a fine-toothed comb. They will be able to find any issues that you may have with your door and correct them before they become even bigger issues.
If you are having trouble with garage door derailment or you want to make sure that your garage door is in good working order, please call Commonwealth Garage Door. They proudly serve the Richmond area and offer friendly and reliable services. They are family-owned and operated and have had many satisfied customers over the years.